File photo of police officers
The Kano police command says it has constituted a panel to investigate the killing of a vigilante during the Sallah procession of Muhammadu Sanusi, the Emir of Kano.
A statement on Wednesday by Abdullahi Kiyawa, the Kano police spokesperson, said the eight-member panel will investigate the incident despite the ban on durbar activities by the force.
The incident was said to have occurred when Sanusi was returning home after the Eid prayers on Sunday.
Sanusi presided over the Eid prayer at the popular Kofar Mata Eid prayer ground in Kano.
Advertisement
Abba Yusuf, governor of the state, and other government officials, attended the Eid prayer session.
While returning back to his palace, violence broke out within the entourage of Sanusi.
‘THOSE FOUND WANTING WILL BE DEALT WITH’
Advertisement
The Kano police spokesperson said the command had invited Wada Isyaku, the Shamakin Kano, for questioning over the defiance to the ban on durbar-related activities.
Kiyawa said Surajo Rabiu, a vigilante from Sabon Titi Jaba quarters, was “stabbed to death” while another vigilante, Aminu Suleman sustained injuries.
“The panel’s terms of reference will focus on unravelling the remote and immediate causes of the unfortunate incident and any defiance to the command’s overt ban on all forms of durbar/horse-riding throughout the Sallah Celebration, based on security concerns in the state,” the statement reads.
“The Kano state police command had earlier arrested one Usman Sagiru, 20, of Sharifai Quarters, and one Nasir Idris, ‘m’, of 35 years old, of Kofar Mazugal Quarters Kano, in connection with the incident.
Advertisement
“The command has also extended an invitation to Shamakin Kano, Alhaji Wada Isyaku, for interrogation following alleged defiance of the Durbar ban.
“The command reiterates its ban on all forms of Durbar and warns that anyone found engaging in such activities will be dealt with decisively.”